Thursday 3 July 2014

Alona with Her Loneliness

On behalf of my midterm examination, I wrote this short story. Hope you enjoy this one :)

-

This road reminded me a lot about every single thing that happened to me ten years ago. In this intersection, that unstoppable smile accompanied me to get back to home and, at the same time, that unstoppable smile welcomed me to my new home. Ah! A small place, where in the rainy season there was no guarantee we would stay dry and warm, did not have any reparation physically yet it repaired my sight about the government that showed their empathy to this place.

I remembered exactly the first day I was welcomed by their warm greetings, but this special 100-centimeters child welcomed me with her hugs around my waist. Shocked and happy flew together with my blood. My brain told me to keep smiling until some utterance made me frown.

“Alona, why do you hug our beautiful teacher with your dirty clothes and hands?” asked the red one. She just showed her teeth happily.

“You don’t fit with us.” said the blonde one.

My heart deeply cried. I saw there was such a big wall that they built to make a relationship with her but the fact that she did not notice what they did made her smile last forever.

Haunted by Alona’s specialne, I talked to some people about her life. She was actually 17-year-old girl who lived by her grandparents because her parents worked out of town. She used to throw everything near her no matter it was alive or not. The last time I remember, she threw a cute kitty right after she kissed the kitty.

-

Days grew faster, the more I knew Alona was very different, the more I was sure she was a nice girl that nobody admitted it. She did not want to study using book and pen as many children were excited about, but playing some instruments and singing. Bonnie, a friend of mine, was very impressed when Alona asked to play his guitar and sing together.

Fire flamed through a long white curtain fulfilled entire rooms of village hall, made the screaming as a lullaby to Sukanegla’s civilization. Everybody was scattered around the hall bringing as many palls as they could. Alona’s eyeball moved from the right to left edge following her heart’s beat, showed her anxiety. She did not know what was happening and just sat cross-legged while kept closing her ears. Bonnie came to her and carried her on his back, which then made her anxiety faded away with carefully quick steps.

“You’re going to be alright, Al.” said he calming her down. She just smiled and murmured to him.
“Why are you so egoistic? You don’t know how worried I am now. Do you know how does it feel when someone you care about doesn’t seem care to you? It sucks!” He seemed angry with Alona yet he kept hugging her tightly in a crowded night. What she did was only grinning to him.

He brought her to a safe place where she felt like home. Everything seemed much fine to her when she was in her warm home, even though she always made everything fine. A warm home that she didn’t have to face the fact that not all of people cared about her led her to a new life she didn’t expect before. In his hug, she didn’t need to worry about what people said about her and how arrogant the world to her is. It didn’t last long because one by one people came to knock her home and kept messing her home.

“It’s all because of you! You’re no different with your parents!” said a fat woman while kept pointing her index finger to her.

“I am very sorry about what happened tonight that caused by my little sister but I think we cannot fully blame her because she’s only a special girl.” said Bonnie with a very calm voice.

“We all here have given up in tolerating this kid. It’s just her who cannot adapt with us!” replied her with a raising voice.

“The other students and I are trying to understand what Alona’s world looks like. We also want she adapts well in here, but it takes time. I’m sure she can behave way better than this gradually. I can guarantee.” said him with a strong voice.

-

Some teachers and I saw she had a hidden ability, or it was just us who did not notice her present. She showed some progress to us that she could pronounce quite clearly about Marawis’ song, even it just one or two syllables. She also could synchronize her mind and her body; which was shown when she took guitar and played it randomly. The good news in months she showed to us kept our smile last in our heart forever.

Word count: 797

References:
- Most of this story is based on one of my students' life at Taman Ilmu
- Instrumental musics from youtube

Click here if you want to hear me read you this story :D


No comments:

Post a Comment